Rethymnon Hotels, Rethymnon Crete Island Hotel Directory
GreekHotels > Crete
Information About Rethymnon Museums
The Rethymnon Archaeological Museum is housed in a pentagon building facing the main gate of the Fortetsas Fort. The building was erected by the Turks to better defend the town. The building has had many uses and was a prison up to the 1960s.
Its collections include:
• relics from the late Neolithic period 3500-2900 BC and the early Minoan period 2800-2100 BC from the caves at Geranou, Melidoni, Margelon and Elenon
• relics from the mid Minoan period 2100-1600 BC, from building complexes at Anodoulou, Monastiraki and the sacred mount of Vrysina
• relics from the late Minoan period 1600-1100 BC from cemeteries of the area such as Armenon
• relics of the Geometric period 1000-700 BC and ancient times of Eleftherna and Axo 700-500 BC
• relics from the Classical, Hellenic and Roman periods from Stavromeno and Argyroupoli, ancient Lappa
The Historical & Folklore Museum of Rethymnon was founded in 1973 with the aim of collecting and researching local material. From 1995 the collection is housed in a Venetian building of the 17th century that is conservation protected.
The collection has been amassed from donations and purchases that include: hand woven textiles, looms and tools used by weavers, embroideries, lace, ceramics, basketry, metalworking tools, coins, garments and other items of historical interest. There is a room dedicated to the traditional cultivation and preparation of the traditional bread of Rethymnon. Another room houses the traditional occupations. The exhibition is complimented with explanatory drawings, diagrams and photographs.
The Sea Life Museum is located in the old town of Rethymnon and offers insight into the life under the sea and the seabed with exhibitions of sponges, types of fish and fossils.
The Ecclesiastical Museum was founded in 1994 and is located in Cathedral Square. Its collection includes ecclesiastical articles from 1816 onwards as icons, bells, utensils as well as the clock that was housed in the cathedral tower from 1894 to 1986.
Exact, partial, brief, paraphrased or adapted reproduction or republication of the contents and design of this website by any means
mechanical, electronic, photocopied or otherwise without previous authorisation from the legal owner is strictly forbidden.
Copyright © 1994 - 2017 www.greekhotels.gr (KAVI CLUB S.A. - Travel Services in Greece)
Find your hotel.
Type the name, select from the list and click go.
Hotels and Apartments in Crete